The 2017 cohort starts here. Graduates, it’s time to RISE.
RISE for Businesses
If your business is one of the many in Sheffield City Region looking for a competitive edge, you’ll love RISE. RISE helps connect the region's network of innovative and exciting businesses to graduates with energy, enthusiasm and fresh ideas.
What is RISE?
RISE is a major initiative running across the whole Sheffield City Region aiming to increase graduate employment in small and medium sized enterprises. The vision is to bring together graduates who want to work hard and do great things, with businesses with energy and vision who are already looking for fresh talent.
RISE is a collaboration between Sheffield Hallam University, The University of Sheffield, Sheffield City Region (in particular, the Growth Hub and local authorities) and the private sector.
The programme aims to better connect the region’s greatest assets, our businesses and graduates in a ‘city region-wide graduate scheme’ for SMEs. It is a collaboration between city region local authorities and partners, The University of Sheffield, Sheffield Hallam University and the private sector. We are working together to make it easier for you to attract, recruit, train and keep graduates in your business. We have helped to fill over 300 roles since RISE started.
Is my business eligible?
You are eligible for support if you:
- Have less than 250 employees
- Are based in the Sheffield City Region
- Are new to graduate recruitment or looking to recruit them in new ways
You can come from any sector and likely to be experiencing a period of growth or upcoming demand that would justify taking on some additional talented resource. Although we try to accommodate all requests, we are publicly funded and try to help as many SMEs across the SCR as possible, so we might not be able to help you on every occasion.
What do I get?
If you participate in RISE you will get:
- The support of a graduate recruitment/development consultant from end-to-end
- Support to spec out the role the graduate will do and writing the advert
- In-house training and development graduate scheme and materials
- Job advertising as part of the city region-wide, high profile RISE campaign
- Screening of the application forms, video interviews and assessment centres
- An employer briefing, providing useful information for final interviews and graduate development
- A shortlist of candidates to interview and select from
- A 1 day launch event for your graduate
- A £1,000 wage subsidy for the first graduate you recruit through the scheme
- Opportunities for you to network, learn and share with other SME owners in the city region
- Positive press for your organisation through case studies and PR
What do I have to put in?
There are four things you must give a graduate as part of this scheme:
- An induction
- A line manager
- Some good quality work for them to do
- An appraisal
Whilst there is a wage subsidy towards employment costs, you will pay their salary and employers national insurance. The exact salary will be up to you (though should be £14,500pa minimum), according to the skills you require, internal benchmarks and budget, so we can’t say exactly how much it will cost, but here is an indication:
Pay £16,000pa (the average for a generic placement in Sheffield) for six months = £7,960* pay £21,000pa (for specific skills, degrees or shortage areas) for six months = £10,760* *including 12% employer NI contributions and minus the £1K wage subsidy.
The exact start date, end date and length of the placement will be up you, your needs and budget.
Use this link http://www.welcometosheffield.co.uk/rise/businesses to find out more about employing graduates, including what it involves, who to contact and further information about the RISE scheme.
Join the Linked-in group to stay up-to-date with graduate employment opportunities and news in the city, funding options and local events.
RISE for Graduates
Sheffield City Region is bursting with vibrant, innovative SMEs. When you take their energy and add graduate talent into the mix, the potential is limitless.
Here we help you find out about real employers of all shapes and sizes; not just the large corporate businesses and graduate schemes you may have heard about on campus. RISE offers a fantastic range of graduate opportunities within numerous SMEs (small to medium sized enterprises) in the city and there are plenty of other opportunities in the city region as well.
Further information about the scheme can be found here: http://www.welcometosheffield.co.uk/rise