RISE aims to increase graduate employment in small and medium sized enterprises
RISE for Businesses
If your business is one of the many in Sheffield City Region looking for a competitive edge, you’ll love RISE. RISE helps connect the region's network of innovative and exciting businesses to graduates with energy, enthusiasm and fresh ideas.
What is RISE and why are you doing it?
RISE aims to better connect the region’s greatest assets, our businesses and graduates in a ‘city region-wide graduate scheme’ for SMEs. It is a collaboration between city region local authorities and partners, The University of Sheffield, Sheffield Hallam University and the private sector. We are working together to make it easier for you to attract, recruit, train and keep graduates in your business. We have helped to fill over 400 roles since RISE started.
Is my business eligible?
You are eligible for support if you:
• Have less than 250 employees
• Are based in the Sheffield City Region
• Are new to graduate recruitment or looking to recruit them in new ways
You can come from any sector and are likely to be experiencing a period of growth or upcoming demand that would justify taking on some additional talented resource. Although we try to accommodate all requests, we are publicly funded and try to help as many SMEs across the SCR as possible, so we might not be able to help you on every occasion.
You may be looking to fill a permanent vacancy or a fix-term position, but we recommend a minimum of six months to get a reasonable return on the initial training you will need to do. Of course, if you would feel more comfortable offering a permanent role with a 6-month probationary period, that is absolutely fine.
RISE is particularly ideal for SMEs looking to recruit a graduate for the first time as you will be supported by the RISE team during the recruitment process and the first 6 months of your graduate’s employment, therefore it is a great way to train and test out potential future employees with minimal risk.
What do I get?
If you participate in RISE SCR you will get:
• The support of a graduate recruitment/development consultant from end-to-end
• Support to spec out the role the graduate will do and writing the advert
• In-house training and development graduate scheme and materials
• Job advertising as part of the city region-wide, high profile RISE campaign
• Screening of the application forms, video interviews and assessment centres
• An employer briefing, providing useful information for final interviews and graduate development
• A shortlist of candidates to interview and select from
• A 1 day launch event for your graduate
What do I have to put in?
There are four things you must give a graduate as part of this scheme:
1. An induction
2. A line manager
3. Some good quality work for them to do
4. An appraisal
You will pay their salary and employers national insurance. The exact salary will be up to you (though should be £15,500pa minimum), according to the skills you require, internal benchmarks and budget, so we can’t say exactly how much it will cost, but here is an indication:
Pay £16,000pa (the average for a generic placement in Sheffield) for six months = £7,960*
Pay £21,000pa (for specific skills, degrees or shortage areas) for six months = £10,760*
*including 12% employer NI contributions.
The exact start date, end date and length of employment will be up you, your needs and budget.
What will happen and when?
Dates Details Actioned by
28th Jan – 6th March Scoping roles and writing adverts RISE/Employer
11th March – 7th April Advertising of all roles RISE
22nd March Employer briefing RISE/Employer
10th – 14th April Video interviews RISE
23rd – 26th April Assessment centres RISE
1st May Employers receive candidate packs RISE
1st – 17th May Final interviews Employer
TBC Business induction (for graduates) RISE/Graduates
What kind of graduates will you attract/recruit?
We are looking for all the hidden gems out there - graduates with a positive attitude, determination and the motivation to learn and succeed. The great people that the big recruiters miss because they don’t fit the corporate mould. For example, graduates that:
• are self-starters that don’t want to work in large corporates
• are very bright and hardworking but may not have perfect academics
• have been doing other challenging stuff alongside their studies like working part-time jobs, leading projects, volunteering, caring or excelling at sport
• are an experienced or career-change graduate looking to get into something completely different
• want or need to stay in the Sheffield City Region area
• are driven, business focused, professional and able to work well in a team
Who can I contact to find out more?
Finally, you are welcome to join the RISE SCR group on LinkedIn for updates on the scheme and other graduate employment opportunities in the region. https://www.linkedin.com/groups/4925451/profile