Mock Employment Tribunal: A Practical Process for Growing Businesses
Over the last years many employers have faced budgetary cuts and economic uncertainty. With fees having been abolished, the prospect of defending troublesome Employment Tribunal claims can cause apprehension and concern.
The prospect of going to an employment Tribunal can be daunting. Unless you have done it before, it is difficult to imagine what it is like to be examined and cross-examined, to present a case clearly, and supply evidence to a judge and panel.
Attendees will be able to watch the Claimant and Respondent go head to head in this practical demonstration of a tribunal, and pick up tips on how they can avoid the Tribunal themselves.
The session will run as follows:
9.00 - Registration and coffee
9.30 - Introduction
9.45 - Mock Tribunal
12.30 - Decision and Questions
1.00 - Network Lunch
• Pleadings and witness statements will be provided to attendees in order to allow the proceedings to be followed.
• The witnesses will give evidence (as they do in real employment tribunals) and will then be cross-examined by one of the highly experienced team barristers.
• After the evidence there will be submissions and then a detailed discussion of the issues and finally the outcome.
• All attendees will have the opportunity to ask questions of the employment law specialists and the barristers in attendance during the Q&A session.
The Masterclass Will Look At:
• Brief introduction to the Employment Tribunal process
• An introduction to the claim to be ‘heard’
• The mock tribunal
• Practical advice on avoiding claims & what to do if a claim is issued against them
• Q&A session
What are the benefits to my business?
Businesses attending the Masterclass will gain:
• An understanding of the Tribunal process and as such will be better prepared should the worst happen and a claim is issued against them.
• An understanding of what the Tribunal relies upon when making a decision and passing Judgement on cases, which are important considerations for anyone making decisions that could lead to such claims from employees.
• Practical advice on avoiding Employment Tribunal claims, and advice on what they should do if a claim is issued against them.
• Full insight into understanding how risk is created, avoiding being in Tribunal in the first place and, understanding the financial implications of a claim to help commercial decision making.
• An opportunity to ask questions of the employment law specialists and the barristers in attendance during the Q&A session.
Who is the masterclass for?
This Masterclass is for all growing SMEs within the Sheffield City Region, as long as the below eligibility criteria is met.
• Business owners/MD’s
• HR managers/advisors
• Anyone with responsibility for people management within their company/organisation
Who is leading it?
The session will be led by Scott Sims, Senior Solicitor at Taylor Bracewell . Scott qualified as a solicitor in 2000 and specialises in employment law. His team acts for a number of employers across South Yorkshire and beyond, advising on all aspects of HR and employment law.
Only one registration per business via Eventbrite will be confirmed. If additional people from your business would like to attend, they can be added to a waiting list by emailing email@example.com with the business name, name of additional attendee and contact telephone number. If this Masterclass isn’t fully subscribed upon the closure of registrations, we will contact you to offer the additional place. The waiting list will be prioritised on a first come first served basis. Businesses that register more than one attendee via Eventbrite will be contacted and asked to nominate one person to attend.
This masterclass is open to small and medium-sized enterprises based in the Sheffield City Region. If you are unsure whether you fall into this region you can use the postcode checker here: http://www.scrgrowthhub.co.uk/areas-we-cover/ A part of your business must be based in one of the following districts: Barnsley, Bassetlaw, Bolsover, Chesterfield, Derbyshire Dales, Doncaster, North East Derbyshire. Rotherham or Sheffield.
To find out if your business meets the definition for Small and Medium-sized Enterprises (SME), please visit:http://ec.europa.eu/DocsRoom/documents/15582/attachments/1/translations/en/renditions/native
Please note that if your firm that is part of a larger Group you may need to include staff headcount, turnover, balance sheet data for the Group too, to ascertain whether it is eligible.
We are pleased to be able to provide this masterclass free of charge due to funding from the European Regional Development Fund. There are a number of eligibility criteria for attendees which we will check using the online registration questions and in a phone call to every attendee prior to the event.
Q/ How can I contact the organiser with any questions?
A/ Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Q/ What are my transport/parking options for getting to and from the event?
A/ When arriving by road, please note that The Legacy Centre has free parking on site.
Q/ How accessible is the venue?
A/ The venue has no accessibility issue and a lift is provided.
Q/ I would like to bring a colleague, is this ok?
A/ No, only one attendee per company is permitted.
Q/ Will refreshments be provided?
A/ Refreshments and food will be provided at this event
This event will be delivered by the ‘Sheffield City Region Growth Hub Enhancement Project’ that is part-funded by the England European Regional Development Fund as part of the European Structural and Investment Funds Growth Programme 2014-2020. The project, for high-growth businesses in the Sheffield City Region, aims to increase their competitiveness and so help them grow and prosper.