Mayor Ros Jones and her cabinet are to consider a Sheffield City Region Transforming Cities bid which could see Doncaster residents benefit from a raft of new transport initiatives.
The Transforming Cities Funding bid, includes up to £49.4million of transport improvement schemes worked up by Doncaster Council.
A new ‘Don corridor’ will create active travel routes and improved public transport from the west of the borough through the town centre, to the Unity development area at Hatfield and to Doncaster Sheffield Airport. As well as local enhancements, they would contribute to improving connections across the borough and wider region.
The Doncaster schemes would be part of a £220million Sheffield City Region Transforming Cities Funding bid which would see significant improvements in rail, public transport and active travel schemes across the region. The funding will help to reduce journey times, improve punctuality and reliability of public transport, and bring about a wide range of benefits associated with active travel.
Ros Jones, Mayor of Doncaster, said: “We are determined to invest in schemes which help residents get to and from places across our borough. These schemes are to improve public transport for residents and communities, support job creation and deliver economic growth. The schemes would help cut journey times and improve punctuality and reliability of public transport.
“We also want to invest in our active travel network by enhancing existing or creating new cycling and walking routes. This would enable more people to travel in a more active way, delivering health and wellbeing benefits and leading to better air quality. It would also help support our Climate and Biodiversity Emergency agenda and our ambition for Doncaster to become carbon neutral.”
Dan Jarvis, Mayor of the Sheffield City Region, said: “It is critical that we improve the transport system in our region, to create better access to jobs, and a safe, reliable and affordable transport network that is fit for the 21st century.
“That’s why it is so important that we get our full allocation of this funding and why we have been working with partners, including Doncaster Council to ensure our bid has the potential to drive transformational change for all our communities.”
The Doncaster schemes, including in the bid are designed to improve access to local train stations, offer better connections to key employment sites, enhance the transport network in the town centre, reduce bus journey times on key corridors and develop cycling and walking routes across the Don corridor.
Mayor Ros and her cabinet will consider the report on Tuesday 15 October 2019. More detail can be found at: https://doncaster.moderngov.co.uk/ieListDocuments.aspx?CId=131&MId=2891
The Transforming Cities Bid will be submitted to the Department for Transport in November 2019, with scheme programmes expected to start in March 2020 and be complete by March 2023.
Further information on the Transforming Cities Funding bid can be found at: sheffieldcityregion.org.uk/explore/sheffield-city-region-transforming-cities-fund-bid/
A list of the potential Doncaster schemes:
- Doncaster West Employment Cycling Connector
- A630 Bus Improvements
- St Mary’s Gyratory Congestion Improvements
- Conisbrough Station Accessibility
- Cleveland Street/Duke Street Cycling Improvements
- Wood Street/Cleveland Street Bus Improvements
- Edlington Walking & Cycling Improvements
- Balby Walking & Cycling Improvements
- Rossington to iPort: Public Transport & Active Travel schemes
- M18 Junction 3 Interchange Congestion Improvements
- Warning Tongue Lane Congestion Improvements
- A18 Bus Priority Improvements
- Kirk Sandall Station Accessibility Improvements
- Hatfield & Stainforth Station Accessibility Improvements
- Thorne North Station Accessibility Improvements
- Thorne South Station Accessibility Improvements
- Thorne Road: Town Moor Cycling Route
- Armthorpe Walking & Cycling Improvements
- Wheatley Hall Road Walking & Cycling Improvements
- West Moor Link/A18 Walking & Cycling Improvements
- Doncaster Station to College Walking & Cycling Improvements
- Bentley Station Accessibility Improvements
- Adwick Interchange Accessibility Improvements
- Long Sandall: Clay Lane West Walking & Cycling Improvements
- Thorne & Moorends Employment Connector
- A638 Bawtry Rd/Gliwice Way Bus Improvements
- North Bridge Road to South Parade Cycling Connector